|4||eggs, at room temperature|
|1 scant cup||caster sugar|
|1 cup||self-raising flour|
|1 tsp||vanilla essence|
|4 Tbsp||hot water|
|300 g||whipped cream|
|Pinch of salt|
- Grease and flour 2 round cake pans of 18 cm.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Beat eggs and sugar together at speed 5 for 7-8 minutes. Add vanilla essence toward the end.
- Sift flour and salt together 3 times, then add to the eggs. Mix 30 seconds on speed 1.
- Melt the butter in the hot water and fold through the mixture.
- Pour evenly into the cake pans and bake for 20 minutes, when the cakes should be pulling away from the sides of the pans.
- Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then turn out onto racks.
- Fill with jam and whipped cream, top with more cream, fresh strawberries and grated chocolate.